Saturday, April 18, 2020

DoubleTree Suites Doheny Beach in Dana Point, CA

Christmas found me heading to Dana Point, CA just like I did a few years ago although this time I chose a different hotel. The DoubleTree Suites Doheny Beach is right across from the beach as the name implies. It was too cold to wade into the water, but the view from the rooftop was great. Unfortunately the rooftop bar wasn’t open for service during my visit. So I ordered a martini from the downstairs restaurant and carried it up to the rooftop bar which was right next to my fourth floor room. In some ways I’m grateful the bar wasn’t open as it may have made for noise outside my room.

I booked the standard king suite, which is the room I got when I arrived early to a lobby decorated for Christmas. The woman working at the front desk implied that an upgraded room with an ocean view might be available later in the day, but I was in need of a nap and asked for the first available. The cutely decorated fourth floor room suited me fine. In addition to the comfortable king bed which was flanked by nightstands with lamps, there was a pull-out sofa bed in a separate living area that also featured a desk and TV.

There was another TV above a dressing bench in the bedroom portion of the room. In the closet was extra bedding if someone was going to be sleeping on the pull-out as well as a safe and an iron and ironing board. I appreciated having a mini-fridge and plenty of outlets, some of which included USB ports. A coffeemaker was also in the room.

The tiny bathroom was unfortunately a bit dark with a small vanity. Along with the standards of shampoo, conditioner, lotion, and soap, there was also a hair dryer, shower cap, and sewing kit.

The view from my room was of the freeway and there wasn’t a balcony (although there was a sliding glass door) as the rooms with an ocean view have, but I was only a few steps from the Longboard Rooftop Lounge that did feature an excellent view and had cozy seating too.

As a Hilton Gold member, the cold buffet at the Doheny Surf restaurant located just off the lobby was included in my stay. There was a good selection including fresh fruit, cereal, yogurt, and pastries. Much to my surprise and appreciation, I was able to take my food to go. The restaurant is open daily for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Room service is also available.

Along with it's next to the beach location, the pet-friendly hotel has plenty to offer. There’s a gym, pool, and bicycles are available to rent on-site from a third party.

The lobby also has a small business center with computers for use.

Parking is $29/day whether valet or self-park.

No comments:

Post a Comment